Among other noteworthy charitable projects, he organized the Live Aid concerts. The year-old Irishman is a hip humanitarian, the guy who proves that you can help save millions of lives and still be--by his own admission--obnoxious, abrasive, ill-tempered and impatient.
His purpose has always been to get the job done, not be well-liked. The band, specializing in booming, new-wavish rock, was popular in many countries but never clicked with American fans. Geldof made commercial concessions but never the right ones. The label dropped the Rats last year. Other labels wanted to sign Geldof but not the Rats. Atlantic Records was one of two labels that also wanted the band.
The deal called for him to do a solo album first and then one with the band. They wanted to go off and do the songs by themselves. Things at Band Aid eased up a bit.
I Don't Like Mondays
The director handles the day to day running of the operation. I go to the board meetings about once a week. There was too much work. What I was working on was far more important than music. Music is my job. I had to go back to it to earn money.
How else can I pay my bills? Once he was working on the album, he was in ecstasy. Retrieved 27 March Retrieved 12 December London: Guinness World Records Limited. Retrieved 20 October The Fastest Lip on Vinyl.
- THE LATEST FROM INSTAGRAM.
- Legendary Boomtown Rat visits boom town Ballarat.
- UPCOMING SHOWS.
- Keyboardist’s name added to copyright details for 1979 Boomtown Rats hit!
Smash Hits. Event occurs at Retrieved 8 April Top Pop Singles Record Research Inc.
Most Read in Culture
Retrieved 5 April Ultratop Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
Irish Singles Chart. Single Top Top 40 Singles.
Anne Heffernan (Author of Our Boomtime Rats - Who do they think they are?)
Retrieved 1 September Singles Top Swiss Singles Chart. Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on 2 June Retrieved 15 October Retrieved 2 September The Boomtown Rats.
- Boyology: A Teen Girls Crash Course in All Things Boy!
- ‘Don’t like Mondays?’ Neither did this killer who inspired Bob Geldof.
- Rue Farfadet: Les extraordinaires et fantastiques enquêtes de Sylvo Sylvain, détective privé (Dédales) (French Edition).
- Get one month’s free unlimited access.
- Wie die Madonna auf den Mond kam: Roman (German Edition).
- My Best-Friend Denial!
- Banana Republic: memories of a suburban Irish childhood.
Namespaces Article Talk. Views Read Edit View history.
BBC News Navigation